Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Body My Temple

Good morning all!

So last we spoke, I had some drama! EEEK! Well, I'm happy to say that for the moment, Drama can't find me! Of course it always sneaks up on me very unexpectedly, but such as life. I gave out a healthy dose of stiff arm to all the people that brought me drama and since then DRAMA-FREE!

Anyway, for a long time, I've been involved in the never-ending battle of the bulge. Well, for the past couple of years, I've been on the losing side. See, once upon a time, I as a cheerleader, no make that THE cheerleader...yes I'm tooting my horn! LOL I never had a need to exercise outside of cheerleading because it kept me in shape. Needless to say at the age of 28, with two bad knees, wrists, a bad shoulder and back issues, my cheerleading days are over! Yup I hung up my pom-poms a long time ago. Though sometimes I do feel the need to relive my glory days, I think I've come to see that they are over :(

So, I've been on the losing end of the battle of the bulge because I find exercise to be boring and monotonous! Like walking/running on a treadmill for 30-45 mins...that is to laugh! Now I know there's Zumba, kickboxing and the like, but its not cheerleading! I know what you are thinking...."get over it!" I've tried but I can't! That is until last week...

I was having a conversation with one of my best friends and she said something to me that just resonated: "It's like I'm watching myself give myself diabetes, and that's just dumb." Wow I thought! I never thought of it that way. Now obviously diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. run ramped in the AA community, so we all should be better take ownership of our health. But until that comment, and that conversation it hadn't occurred to me that I was doing this to myself. And that YES I have a choice and I things don't really have to be this way. I guess it comes down to ACCOUNTABILITY! I wasn't holding myself accountable for my actions I was too busy making excuses and leading myself to believe "oh diabetes won't happen to me"....riiiiiight!

So, I've decided to hold myself fully accountable from now on. Since last week, I've exercised one time...I know it may not seem like much, but I haven't done that in months! In addition, fully intend to renew my Bally's membership, and heck at $68.00 for one year, its a steal and I'd be dumb not to! Also, no more sodas! From now on just Water and OJ (if my throat hurts). I've started to take a multivitamin as well and I try not to eat after 7:00pm during the week.

As far as I can tell, I feel okay.And believe me, feeling okay is way better than how I usually feel, which is HUNGRY! But I know once I develop my cheerleading based exercise routine I'll feel even better. Then I'll have the best of both worlds! HA! The goal of all of this is to not lose weight (I mean yes I want to do that) but to feel better and treat myself better.

After all, I'm worth it and so are you!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Vivaladiva!!! I'm planning on joining planet fitness when it opens, but let me know if you want to go for walks/jogs in the park.

    ReplyDelete